Thursday, June 7, 2007

spanky's family consignment store

We recently received the wedding invitation for my husband's cousin's wedding, and were thrown into a tail spin by three little words: "black tie affair". Suddenly my husband was talking about cancelling our plane tickets (purchased a couple months ago), and detailing the injustice of men and tuxedos. I, meanwhile, was thinking of the elegant dinner we would get to enjoy, the dancing, and of course, the wedding. And then I realized that I also really don't have anything to wear to a formal wedding; there is no way I am wearing an old prom dress from, um...gulp, 9 years ago, and while I do have several bridesmaid dresses in my closet that I LOVE, they seemed to be a bit of an overkill. And a new dress? Out of our budget at this time. This is where I was introduced to the wonder of Spanky's Family Consignment Store.

Now, by name, it seems a great contradiction in terms: "spanky's" and "family" just don't quite put together a cohesive picture in my mind. But I held my tongue (and my judgment), got in the car and decided to try it out. And... it really is a truly wonderful place. The clothes are much newer and more in style than what you would find at Value Village or Goodwill, and not too much more expensive. I walked out of there with a practically brand new lovely strapless chocolate brown taffeta dress that swishes around my calves when I spin, and that fits me absolutely perfectly, for $15. I recommend the store completely, and might even become a consignor myself in the near future.

And my handsome husband? He'll be fine in his dark suit, which is hanging in his closet just longing to see an evening out on the town.

No comments: