Friday, September 19, 2008

introduction to middle school 101

I'm starting to volunteer with our youth group at church, and Wednesday night was my first time hanging out with them. I've spent much more time with high school kids, but there's a lack of female leaders for middle school (as in, they don't have any), and so I'm testing the waters to see if this would be a fit. Holy cow, do these kiddos have a lot of energy! I was exhausted after just 15 minutes, both physically and mentally. Not to mention their wholehearted and blunt curiosity. My favorite part of the evening was facing a barrage of questions thrown at me from a group of 6th and 7th grade girls:

Girls: Which kids are yours? (Um, do I look old enough to have middle school CHILDREN??)

Me: Actually, I don't have any kids.

Girls: Are you married?

Me: Yes.

Girls: Where is your husband?

Me: At home.

Girls: Why isn't he here?

Me: Well, he had other things to work on tonight. (i.e. avoid the craziness that is youth group)

Girls: Do you want kids?

Me: Yes, someday.

Girls: Are you pregnant?

What? Excuse me? I had to laugh at that one. And by the way, the answer is no.

No comments: