Wednesday, July 2, 2008

frailty

The past week and a half have been sort of like a roller coaster. Good times come right on the heels of hard ones, and sometimes a moment is so good and also so hard at the same time. I'm tired. I cry at odd moments - usually when I stop and rest for a moment, or in the middle of trying get some reading done. I spent a day with my family over the weekend, and was able to see my grandpa for the first time since February. He's a completely different man - so weak and frail. He gets out of breath after even a short sentence, and he can barely walk even with the assistance of a walker. It was painful to watch his gaze turn to the photograph of him and my grandma on the end table, and at the same time I was moved so deeply by the love that existed between these two people. I was also SO glad to just be with him, and have confidence in knowing he knows I love him deeply. There are so many things we just don't say to people! And then we can't anymore. Here's a couple pictures of my grandma, taken just a couple years ago.

No comments: